Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Of Cabbages and Kings...

Or perhaps not... but maybe a soup would do!

soup 3

This is one of our all time favorite soups and granted I usually hold off on my soup making until cooler weather settles in and a piping hot hearty soup is a welcome substance needed to warm the soul. But... I got a hankerin' that just wouldn't quit so I relented, not that it was that hard to give into because as I said... it is one of our all time favorite soups!

Pork and Cabbage Soup

And if you haven't guessed it yet, I am about to share my recipe!

2 lbs boneless country-style pork ribs
6 carrots, peeled
3 celery stalks
1 large onion
1 medium potato, peeled
1 medium sweet potato, peeled
1 medium cabbage

All of the above will be sliced or diced, chunky or not, however you prefer your soup.

soup 2

You will also need two quart jars of your very own home canned tomatoes Ü... but... if you don't have two jars handy you can always use a 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes, juice and all.

Now comes the flavoring...

soup 1

1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper .
1/2 teaspoon pepper
(or you can use Hot Shot which is both red and black pepper)
6 teaspoons of chicken bouillon
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 cups of water 

All of this will go into a good size pot. I use my jumbo pot just because I like to leave room for improvision... Ü  and you also may have to add a bit more water depending on the size of the veggies that were used.

soup 4

Cover the pot and bring it to a boil then reduce the heat to a medium/low setting and simmer for about an hour.

I suggest serving with some type of crusty bread or biscuits. Yummy!

soup 3

Oh, and it has been brought to my attention that if you are feeding children you may want to cut back on the hot pepper spices. Ü

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Below you can leave me a message! Ü

Bark-Bark... Whinny-Neigh... Cluck-Cluck... Quack-Quack... Oink-Oink... Baa-Baaa... Moo-Moo...??? ... Oh-No, Not Moo-Moos!!